On Saturday morning, I waltzed into a brunch spot I’d never been to, near my home. I was excited to see friends that I hadn’t seen in months. And bacon. I was excited for bacon.
Soon after I sat down, I spotted Lawyer walking into the restaurant. I was surprised, which really, I shouldn’t have been, since the restaurant is almost next door to his home. It was the first time I’d run into him since I wrote this snarky post about him, which caused him to unfriend me on Facebook.
At first I panicked. What if he noticed me? What if it was awkward? I excel at being awkward. It’s kinda my thing.
Then my friends all showed up, and there was a brouhaha of hellos and hugs and noisy lovey-dovey moments. Lawyer glanced over to our group and noticed me. He gave me one of these smiles:
I did a quick run-down of the situation.
- Wearing clean clothes AND mascara AND non-hobo hair (very unusual for a Saturday morning)
- Surrounded by my gorgeous friends who were all clearly delighted to see each other
- Generally looking fabulous and happy
- Sitting alone at the diner’s counter
- Sporting the slightly pasty look of someone working ridiculous hours in a sunless office
I was quite satisfied with the situation.
Part of me acknowledged I was being petty. But most of me gleefully enjoyed the moment.
All of me enjoyed the bacon.